Friday, July 04, 2008

Movie: Sophie Scholl

On Thursday, Angie and I stopped by the library to pick up a book I had placed on reserve.

We went to the Hilltop Library which, after the Main, is my favorite branch. On my way in, she told me to pick up a movie, so I got my book and then went to the movie section. It had been picked through like they were giving away free twinkies outside of a Jennie Craig.

Seriously. There were maybe two copies of Glitter. I glanced over to the other side of the room and noticed that the foreign film section was virtually untouched. This is the Hilltop after all.

I rummaged through and narrowed it down to three: Diary of a Country Priest (French), Turtles Can Fly (Kurdish) and Sophie Scholl (German). I have already seen Turtles Can Fly and, while it's very good, it's quite a downer. The book version of Diary of a Country Priest was mentioned in the book Gilead which I just finished reading and loved. But I was afraid it might be a little boring being the diary of a country priest and French.

I settled on the German film.

Angie and I watched it tonight. She called it "gripping," which is what the reviewers on the cover also said! Crazy.


It's based on the true story of the White Rose resisitant movement in Nazi Germany. She was arrested for distributing anti-Reich leaflets at the University of Munich and subsequently executed.

There's more to the story than that, but that's a basic summary.

Breakdown
Name: Sophie Scholl
Year: 2005
Stars: Julia Jentsch, Fabian Hinrichs
Director: Marc Rothemund

Ratings
Plot: 8 out of 10
Acting: 9 out of 10
Soundtrack: none to speak of
Overall: 8.5 out of 10

Recommendation?

Yes.

I think the best thing that people get out of language studies is an appreciation for movies made in other places. Granted I think most people prefer movies in the language which they studied, but I think it makes one more open to that section of the library, so the speak.

I think the exception to this rule might be those people who only took Spanish in high school. I think they don't really care.

No comments: